Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Lawyers: The Necessary Evil

The United States of America is comprised of three branches of government; the executive, the legislative, and the judicial branch. My focus is with the judicial branch, and more specifically all of the lawyers that are a necessary requirement for this branch. There has always been a mind boggling stat that has amazed me for as long as I can remember, and it goes something like this. There are more lawyers in our country than there are cases to be tried. How is this possible? Why does the number of law students keep increasing? I have a couple of theories that I believe help explain this staggering stat. Our country was built on the foundation of freedom and liberty, but because there is so much room for interpretation of what defines freedom and liberty, there are many loop holes within our judicial system in which a great number of lawyers are able to operate. I understand the importance of representation when in a court of law, but I do have an issue with specialized law firms that specifically target people and or companies for the sole purpose of filling their pockets with cash, however, I am at a quandary with that statement, because America is the one place in this world where anyone can become what they want to be. In addition, lawyers bring seasons of change, and after all without change we as a country would not be able to move forward. My final thought on lawyers is this, as sleazy of a reputation which lawyers receive, they are a necessary evil, and for the most part, many lawyers did earn their degrees at reputable universities. There are however, a few lawyers out there that had to have gotten their degrees out of a Cracker Jack box.

No comments:

Post a Comment